Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Bilingual Home Improvement


After my horrifying ordeal with repairmen, I decided to do the job myself. So I went to a Lowe's near my house to buy some things I would need. As I was cruising through the aisles I heard something a little disturbing. They were asking for assistance over the PA system, in both English and Spanish. Everytime that they would speak over the PA system, I would hear a chime. I felt like I was in an international airport.

The truth is that I have nothing against the Spanish language. However, a time like this, when people are demonstrating that we allow illegal aliens to come and get citizenship, it
feels a bit awkward that everything needs to be repeated in both English and Spanish in a home improvement store. This isn't a souvenir shop where tourists are regularly found, in which case I would understand the need for everything to be bilingual. This is happening because we are being overrun by another culture. If this is how it is before they are legal, what will be when they become legal? Will they decide to learn English? I doubt it.

3 Comments:

At 5/17/2006 6:38 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

gosh that is so telling!...and after the Pres's call for NON action u best get lessons in Espanol!

 
At 5/18/2006 7:24 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

And why should they learn when we are so accomidating? Grr.

 
At 5/18/2006 10:28 AM, Blogger 3pillars said...

It's a shame that the politicians aren't doing anything about it. I just hope my kids will grow up in an English speaking United States.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home