Thursday, March 30, 2006

Dr. Wafaa Sultan

It's been almost a month since I posted the interview which aired on Al-Jazeera with Dr. Wafaa Sultan. At the time I did not have any information as to who she was, but I became smarter since then.

Wafaa Sultan, born in Syria, was taught as a child to hate Jews. "Up to the very first day that I immigrated to America, I used to believe that Jewish people were not human creatures, that they had different features, different voices than the human race. Unfortunately this is the way I was raised," Sultan said in an interview Arutz-7. But her views have changed since then. "I have discovered how wrong we were. The more I work with them the more I find out we are all human beings. The first experience I had in the medical field was with a Jewish doctor. We were four Muslim women in his program, and he treated us very well. My experience is great, so I have to break this taboo and tell my people the truth."

She now lives in Los Angeles, where she is a psychiatrist. While she was in university in Syria she began to question the way she was brought up. "At that time, the Brotherhood of Islam committed very bloody and ugly crimes against innocent Syrian people in the name of their God. I witnessed the killing of my professor, a great human being who had nothing to do with the government. They filled his body with hundreds of bullets before my eyes while screaming Allah is great. At that moment I was traumatized. I had just lost trust in their God and started to question his teachings."

But her bravery comes with a price. Dr. Sultan is now in hiding, fearful of what might happen to her and/or her family as a result of the interview on Al-Jazeera. Perhaps she fears that the Brotherhood of Islam might try to get her. For the sake of humanity let's hope she isn't harmed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home