Friday, October 21, 2005

"Jews go home"

Wow, it's been a while since I've last updated. My schedule was a bit hectic lately, and now there are cobwebs on my screen. Well, not anymore, I brushed it off already. I hope that in the future this won't happen and I'll be able to update the blog more often.

I would like to share with you some feedback that I received about one of my earlier
posts. You are welcome to read the comments left there, but I want to post something I got from a friend of mine. It is an editorial from the Colorado Gazatte Telegraph from June 1, 1973, by William Atken. Mr. Atken is not a Jew, just as the Telegraph is not a Jewish journal. Mr . Atken was commenting on the slogan which appeared during a flurry of Nazi scrawlings on synagogues and other public buildings.
JEWS GO HOME
"Jews go home" - Well, now this is nothing new. Never in the past have you taken this gentle suggestion to move on. But Heaven forbid, suppose just this once, you thought that expression of a few sick people actually expressed the conviction of all the people in this wonderful land of ours and all of you started to pack your bags and leave for parts unknown.
Just before you leave would you do me a favor?
Would you leave the formula for the Salk Vaccine with me before you leave? You wouldn't be so heartless as to let my children contact polio.
And would you please leave your knack for government and politics and persuasion and literature and good food, and fun and love, and all those things, and would you please leave me with the secret of your desire to succeed?
And please have pity on us, please show us the secret of how to develop such geniuses as Einstein and Steinmetz and oh, so many others who have helped us all. After all, we owe you most of the A bomb, most of our rocket research and perhaps the fact that we are alive today.
On your way out, Jews, will you do me a favor?
Will you please drop by my house and pick me up too? I'm not sure I could live too well in a land you weren't around to give us as much as you have given us. If you ever have to leave, love goes with you, democracy goes with you, everything I and my buddies fought for in World War Two goes with you; G-d goes with you.
Just pull up in front of my house, slow down and honk because so help me, I'm going with you too.
Here we have another article similar to the other one, although they were written 75 years apart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home