Saturday, November 05, 2005

Zuma

Well, what I can say? I'm a bit of an addict. To computer games, that is, and there are quite a few games out there that can be addictive. Today I want to discuss a game called Zuma, pictured above.
The truth is that I don't even know why this game is addictive, I can go a few days without playing it, so I don't think it can really be called an addiction. However, I enjoy playing this game immensely. I play it very often and I try to convince myself that it has some good things to it. That if I play this game it'll sharpen some of my senses.
But in order to understand how, let me explain how the game goes in short. There are different color balls on the screen, as you can see (unless your screen is black and white). The balls keep moving along their tracks until they reach the skull(s) where they get swallowed up, in which case you lose the game (or a life in the game). Your objective is to clear the screen of balls by shooting same colored balls at groups of balls. There need to be at least two balls (plus the one you shoot) to get the balls off the screen.
There are many tricks to the game of how you can get more points, and how you can cause the balls to go back on the track. But this isn't the time or place for any of that. Some hints are posted on the website and others you just pick up after playing for some time.
The site offers a free online version of the game which has four levels; each level has four sublevels, so to say. As you advance in the levels, the balls move along quicker, and there are more colors. This obviously makes the goal harder with each level. You only get three lives to play the entire sixteen levels (in the picture above I am in the last level available online, and I'm on my second life). In other words, with eacj passing level you have to get quicker and more decisive. You don't have time to start debating where it is better to shoot a ball. If you do procrastinate that way, you will find it very difficult to finish the game. It is this that I have convinced myself which is beneficial for me (and you). By being put into these "situations" where you have to make quick decisions which can mean winning or losing a game, you are sharpening your leadership abilities, without endangering anyone, or anything.
This could be all a bunch of baloney, or it could be not. One thing is certain, though, if you are bored and have nothing to do, this game won't harm you any more than doing nothing will. It may not be advisable to waste precious time from doing something else which is constructive (like posting a blog), but for those times you just want to relax, this is great.
You are welcome to try the game and see how you like it, and how you do. In the picture you can see that my score is holding at 112780, at the end of this game, however, I had a score over 125000 (if I remember correctly). So try it out, and try to beat my score, and perhaps you might make it to the Zuma highscores. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home