Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Clarification

I read this comment on one of my posts, and I must say that I agree with most of the things Tamara wrote. Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough in saying what it was meant to say and therefore it "disgusts" people. As a teacher, I'm sure you understand that when someone asks a question it means that others have the same question, but didn't ask it. Therefore I want to clarify this issue for anyone that had, or will have, the questions you had.
First, I will briefly describe the purpose that my original post was meant to serve. Michael Goodwin of the New York Daily News wrote a column in which he thought the courts should make gay marriages permissible by law. He wrote that there were many problems with traditional marriages. Perhaps the solution for those problems would be through allowing gay marriages. My post was geared towards that thought. Gay marriages will not be able to fix those problems because those problems weren't caused by the fact that a man and woman got married. Domestic violence affect gay couples, too. I have nothing against gay people, they are human just like all other people, and deserve the same respect that every person deserves. However, I don't think it is correct for the courts to allow gay marriages.
As a teacher, I am sure that in order to explain things to your students, at times you will use examples which seem a bit far out and having nothing to do with the subject at hand. After a little clarification, however, the students can understand the connection between these two seemingly opposite things, and the original point you were trying to bring across to them. That is the background to the comparison of "freeing serial killers to gay marriage." It was never intended to be a real comparison, to honestly compare the two is just wrong.
There was another point you made in the comment, that influencing others to become gay is not on anyone's agenda. It is a valid point, a point which isn't even mentioned in my post, which is why I am not sure how you decided that I thought it was on anyone's agenda. What I wrote is that we, as role models, need to be self-conscious about the message we give to our children. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a single gay person adopting a child, just as there is nothing wrong with any single person adopting a child. But to legalize gay marriages just because it will better the situation of the children in the country is wrong.
I hope that this clarifies my original post. You don't have to agree with my opinion, but you can rest assured that the day that I "realize that murderers and gays are NOT equal" has long ago arrived.
PS The question I posted in the comment on your blog was rhetorical, but thanks for the answer. Happy Chanukah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home