Thursday, March 09, 2006

Giuliani vs. Clinton


I remember in 1997 listening to the then Mayor Rudy Giuliani on the radio during his monthly ask the Mayor show on WCBS880. It was his first show since he won reelection as New York City's Mayor and most callers were only calling to congratulate him, while others called to wish him success and also ask him questions. I remember the jubilant feeling I had at the time when he won the election and the mixed feelings I had. On the one hand I wanted his term to last forever so that he can continue to help us New Yorkers. On the other hand, I wanted his term to end so that he will run for President.

One of the callers who called in expressed the second view to him, and he responded, "You sound like my mother." Although he didn't say clearly that he wouldn't run for higher office, he didn't sound too promising either. However, I still hoped and prayed that he would one day be our man in the oval office.

I remember the adrenaline rushes we had when he was running against the then First Lady, Hillary Clinton, for the Senate. At first she was ahead in the polls, but I was sure that her lead was only because people felt bad for her after the Monica scandal. I was sure that as time passed and we would get closer to the election her lead would disappear. Sure enough, Giuliani started closing the gap between them, but he never made it to the elections. Unfortunately he had to drop out of the race for personal reasons, and Hillary won. But I was always hoping that a day would come when there would finally be a showdown between the two of them, and all the world will see that contrary to what many people believe, Giuliani's popularity and sense of leadership is greater than that of Hillary. 9/11 proved what a leader he is (as pictured above).

Now as we approach the 2008 Presidential elections, many people are suggesting that Hillary will run. Perhaps this is my dream come true. Giuliani against Clinton again, but this time the stakes are higher. As reported recently, Rudy Giuliani is the most popular politician in the US today. Hillary is number 8 on that list. Perhaps this election will be the one that almost happened in New York, where Rudy Giuliani will win against Hillary Clinton in the polls and finally make it to the White House.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home